Maybe you’re travelling. Maybe you want to create some content for your small business. Maybe you’re just really passionate about pizza and need to share in-depth knowledge of all the best pizza places in town. There’s so many reasons to start a vlog, and there’s a ton of options to get started with.
Here’s some ideas for a great kit to get you started for less than $1000:
1. Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Kit – The Canon SL3 is an affordable, compact DSLR kit with Dual-pixel Autofocus for smooth focus tracking in video mode. The camera also has a microphone jack and fully articulating LCD screen for easy filming, no matter whether you’re filming yourself or the world in front of you.
2. External Microphone – Great audio is a critical part of making a great vlog. Using an external microphone is a simple way to step up that audio. Pick a lavalier (lapel) microphone like the Deity V.Lav if you’re recording a lot of talking-head footage, or a small shotgun mic like the Rode VideoMicro if you want something easier to run-and-gun with.
3. Sescom Headphone Splitter – Improving your audio is a great step, but monitoring it can save you a lot of hassle in case of interference or disconnected microphones. This splitter allows you to use headphones while shooting on an external microphone.
4. Aputure M9 Compact LED Spot Light – Designed to sit right in the hotshoe on your camera, this daylight-balanced LED light is small and lightweight but powerful. Easy to recharge via micro-USB, this is a great piece of kit to keep you and your subjects lit in any situation.
5. Joby Gorillapod 3K Kit – Whether you need a little extra reach or a chance to set the camera down, Joby’s Gorillapod is a versatile, compact tripod solution that’s easy to bring with you. The flexible legs mean you can wrap the tripod around a fence post or tree branch, or any other predicament you find yourself in so that you can get the shot.
Video can be intimidating, but this is an example of some lower-budget tools that can make a big difference in your finished product.
Featured in this Article: