Nikon is back again with another high-performance super-telephoto lens for professionals, the new Nikkor 600mm f/4 TC VR S! A captivating combination of versatility and powerful performance, boasting Nikon’s latest optical technology and anti-reflective coatings for the ultimate in image quality. Then to make this lens even more outstanding, it has the added benefit of a built-in 1.4x teleconverter for even more reach! Reaching far beyond expectations, the 600mm is helping action, wildlife and sports photographers achieve their photographic dreams!
The Nikkor 600mm f/4 TC VR S is a pro lens that reimagines the potential of a larger Z mount. An extreme focal length paired with a constant f/4 aperture fills the frame with the subject, creating dramatic isolation with a gorgeous background. The integration of a built-in 1.4x teleconverter gives users the ability to seamlessly switch from an extreme 600mm to an astounding 840mm (FX mode) while maintaining superior optical performance throughout the frame.
Superbly balanced and meticulously constructed for maximum durability and precise operation, the 600mm is an S Line lens that realizes exceptional rendering capability with overwhelming resolution and beautiful bokeh, with a body that’s 14% lighter than its F-mount counterpart. It also utilizes Nikon’s exclusive SSVCM drive system, locking tack-sharp focus of even the fastest moving or elusive subject quickly, accurately and quietly, helping to nail the decisive shot every time.
Additional Features of the Nikkor 600mm f/4 TC VR S:
- Built-in 1.4x Teleconverter: Like two lenses in one, the 600mm f/4 TC VR S can instantly swap between 600mm f/4 and 840mm f/5.6. This allows users to seamlessly keep the subject in frame, whether it’s erratically moving animals or oncoming cars when shooting motorsports. In DX mode, this range is increased to an impressive 900mm f/4 and 1260mm f/5.6 equivalent, respectively. The teleconverter switch is optimally positioned so that users can operate it with a finger of the right hand while holding the camera grip and maintaining their shooting position.
- Surprisingly Smaller Size and Lightweight: Weighing only 3260 grams (7.2 lbs), enabling longer hours of shooting with less fatigue. The lens size is optimized to fit in carry-on luggage, with a length of only 437mm (17.2 in).
- Fast f/4 Maximum Aperture: When shooting fast-moving subjects or in low-light conditions, the lens’ bright maximum aperture lets in more light. Users can then take advantage of higher shutter speeds for sharper images with minimal blur. A larger maximum aperture with nine rounded blades also allows for a beautiful, natural bokeh, with the distinctly shallow depth of field of a 600mm focal length.
- Outstanding IQ with Unparalleled Optics: The innovative optical formula incorporates three ED, a super ED, two fluorite and two SR lens elements. Various aberrations, including chromatic aberration, are effectively compensated, delivering outstandingly sharp rendering. As a result, incredibly high resolution throughout an image is achieved consistently, even at the maximum aperture. Additionally, the close-up performance has been greatly improved, minimizing colour bleeding from infinity to close distances, despite being a super-telephoto lens. Because quality control of optical performance is comprehensively managed while including the built-in teleconverter, overwhelmingly high image quality is ensured even at the 840mm focal length. The optical formula also considers video and multimedia production, with significantly reduced focus breathing and near-silent operation.
- Nikon’s Meso Amorphous Coat: This coating provides the highest anti-reflection performance in Nikon’s Nikkor history. Together with Nano Crystal Coat, the 600mm achieves a significant reduction of ghost and flare effects caused by incident light from various directions, delivering clear images even under harsh lighting conditions, including stadium lights, direct sunlight and oncoming headlights.
- Fast, Highly Accurate AF Control: Nikon’s advanced AF drive system, The Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM), simultaneously achieves higher speed, better accuracy and quieter operation. The SSVCM is enhanced with the guide mechanism that effectively suppresses vibration within the AF drive as well as the optical ABS encoder, which contributes to overall AF accuracy.
- TC Compatible for Extreme Telephoto: The focal length can be extended to 1,200mm with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0×, or 1,680mm when the built-in teleconverter is used in conjunction with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0×3. By using the built-in teleconverter and 2.3x crop for video recording with the Nikon Z 9, it is possible to shoot at a focal length equivalent to 1,932 mm.
- Superior Operability: The Nikkor 600mm f/4 TC VR S is solid, sturdy and comfortable. The center of gravity is shifted toward the photographer, giving the user a comfortable balance for hand-held shooting or panning. An ergonomic design provides easy access to controls such as the L-Fn buttons, the memory set button, the Fn ring, the control ring and the focus ring without looking. In addition, a Memory Recall function quickly recalls pre-assigned focus positions that have been saved in advance.
- High-Performance Vibration Reduction (VR): The lens’ powerful optical VR function provides a compensation effect equivalent to shooting at a shutter speed up to 5.0 stops faster or 5.5 stops when using the synchro function of the Nikon Z 9. Users can also choose the SPORT function, which enables a stable viewfinder image during panning shots and tracking moving subjects.
- Built to Withstand the Rigors of Professional Use: When the weather in the field takes a turn for the worse, professionals can still have confidence under the harshest conditions. The lens barrel is constructed of durable magnesium alloy, and superior dust- and drip-resistant performance is ensured by sealing adopted in various areas, including movable parts of the lens barrel and mount. Additionally, a fluorine coat is applied to the surface of the front-most element, which effectively repels dust, dirt and moisture for easy cleaning.
For more information and to pre-order the Nikkor Z 600mm f4 TC VR S, click here!
Featured in this blog: