With all the anticipation, Nikon finally let the cat out of the bag! New to the Z mirrorless system, DX Z 50 camera, along with two new Z DX lenses – the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50 f/3.5-6.3 VR and the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250 f/4.5-6.3 VR. Small but bold, this APS-C mirrorless camera is ready to join the party, and who better else to party with but two stunning lenses?! Here is everything you need to know about all three of these new Nikon additions. Oh, and there may be some surprises, so make sure you read it all!
As Nikon says, small but this little camera is mighty! Designed to be ready when you are, this compact camera was made for those upgrading to mirrorless or just discovering the Nikon Z mount system. This Nikon’s first DX-format mirrorless camera, and it is ready to take on any creative project from still photography to high-quality 4K video.
The Z 50 is perfect for taking with you on whatever adventure comes your way. Being only 15.9 ounces with a magnesium alloy body, the Z 50 is compact and easy to handle. With also being mirrorless, users can keep a low profile with the silent shutter function. It has DX-format 20.9-megapixel CMOS sensor, so it takes great quality images. It also has an ISO max of 51,200, so it can perform great in all kinds of photographic situations, including challenging low-light. It is the first Nikon DX-format camera to employ Eye-Detection AF, making portrait photography a breeze.
The Z 50 also has a 3.2-inch LCD flip-down touchscreen that has a selfie mode, which disables essential controls while the LCD is flipped down to make it ideal for selfies and vlogging without worry of accidental changes in settings. Video is also a super important element to the Z 50, as it has vibrant 4K, built in 120p slow-motion, time-lapse and interval timer as well as in-camera video trimming and 20 Creative Picture Controls video, for lots of creative play. It also has additional built-in stabilization while shooting Full HD or 4K for smooth footage.
At the end of an amazing day shooting, you’ll want to share your images and videos with the world! With built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth connectivity along with support for the SnapBridge app, users can seamlessly share still images and videos with friends, families and followers.
Here is the simplified, technical breakdown of this cool, little camera.
- Compact mirrorless camera and lenses that still uses the new Nikon Z mount
- Camera body only weighs 15.9 ounces and still has a magnesium alloy body
- 20.9 MP CMOS sensor with excellent low-light performance – ISO range of 100-51,200
- 209 point Hybrid AF with 87% horizontal and 85% vertical coverage and is the first Nikon DX camera to feature eye-detect autofocus
- 11 fps shooting with AF/AE
- 3.2” flip down LCD touch screen with selfie mode that disables all but essential controls
- 4K video and recording up to 120fps
- SnapBridge with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, including RAW transfer
Check out our website to Pre-order the DX Z 50 now!
Now, a camera body isn’t complete without a lens, and Nikon released two amazing lenses alongside the Z 50, the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50 f/3.5-6.3 VR and the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250 f/4.5-6.3 VR. The 16-50mm standard zoom and the 50-250mm telephoto zoom lenses are designed to perfectly complement the new Z 50, from landscapes to candid portraits, to city skylines or birds in flight, these lenses were made to deliver outstanding optical performance and sharpness in a deceptively compact form factor. They were also optimized for video capture when paired with the Z 50, making them must-haves for emerging content creators. Here is the gist of what you need to know.
New NIKKOR Z DX
- New lens design strikes a balance of small design and sharp optics
- Both lenses take advantage of the new larger diameter Z mount and the short 16mm flange distance to deliver superior optical performance
- Both lenses have reduced focused breathing for video, a customizable control ring for smooth aperture or exposure compensation control, as well as fast focus and quiet operation
- Built in lens VR offers 4.5 stops of stabilization for the 16-50 and 5 stops for the 50-250
Check out our website to Pre-order your own Nikon Z50 with Z DX 16-50mm f3.5-6.3 VR.
But wait! There’s more!
Just when you thought this announcement couldn’t get any better, Nikon brings you more. The fastest NIKKOR lens ever made, the new NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct. A classic, reborn! Made for nighttime photography, the original Noct-NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 is known for its ability to reproduce point light sources as point images. Now, the new NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct uses the most advanced optical technology, to bring you an extensive depth of field, producing elaborate bokeh and blur characteristics with good continuity for more compelling, three-dimensional imaging. This lense is really quite amazing and really takes the best elements of its predecessor and elevates itself into the new era.
To get a better idea of everything that is jam packed into this lense, here is the full detail list of what the NIKKOR Z 58mm f.0.95 Noct brings to the table.
NIKKOR Z 58mm f.0.95 Noct
- The fastest NIKKOR lens ever made
- This new lens honours the legacy of the Noct-NIKKOR 58mm f1.2 while taking advantage of the superior capabilities of the new Z mount
- Offers extreme low-light capability and extreme sharpness edge to edge
- Name is derived from “Nocturne” for nighttime photography
- Offers extensive depth of field, elaborate bokeh and blur characteristics
- Even shot wide open the lens is highly corrected for sagittal coma flare rendering pin-point light sources tack sharp, even at the edges of the image
- Offers large diameter ground aspherical lens elements ground from the finest glass with outstanding surface accuracy providing a higher refractive index that would be otherwise impossible
- Optical formula consists of 17 elements in 10 groups
- Features the new ARNEO coating for anti-reflective performance to combat incident light reaching the lens from a vertical direction
- Also features the Nano Crystal Coat to reduce light from the diagonal direction to minimize ghosting and flaring
- Includes a lens information panel to confirm aperture, focus distance and depth of field at a glance
- A lens function button which matches the abilities of the Z 6/Z 7 lens function buttons
- An electromagnetic diaphragm for a stable aperture even during high-speed shooting
- Fluorine coated to repel dust, dirt and moisture
- Focus ring enables accurate manual focusing allowing for the appropriate amount of torque and a large rotation angle
- Offers a custom control ring for aperture or exposure compensation
- Inside of the lens hood is felt lined to prevent light reflection inside the lens hood.
Check out our website to Pre-order the NIKKOR Z 58mm f.0.95 Noct now!
Last, but not least, new batteries. Let’s be honest, they’re kind of a key component, so new batteries are always a bonus.
New MB-N10 Battery Pack for the Z 6 and Z 7
- This new battery pack offers extended life and additional hand-hold for the Z 6 and Z 7 cameras
- Designed to hold 2 EN-EL15b batteries increasing total camera run time for stills or video by 1.8x (CIPA)
- Offers full weather sealing and USB charging
Featured in this blog: